...

Music

...
Brand new DJ Harvey interview at Heads Down

Brand new DJ Harvey interview at Heads Down

26 replies [Last post]
tubbs's picture
Thu, 16/02/2012 - 21:26
Here it is (finally)! Probably the biggest interview so far on Heads Down. Let me know what you think...

http://www.headsdown.org/?p=1842
Joined: Nov 28 2007
Posts: 168
Vic20's picture
#1
Thu, 16/02/2012 - 22:44
Good interview.

Definitely not a Harvey disciple but have total respect for the man and the years he' s put in the so called 'game' and I love the fellas honesty.
__________________

Looks like a hardcore Benny Hill

RECORDS FOR SALE LIST and ME on SOUNDCLOUD

Joined: Feb 21 2004
Posts: 4311
#2
Thu, 16/02/2012 - 22:46
that VW record is mental. I never heard this one before. I gotta hunt down this one
Joined: Jul 24 2008
Posts: 443
#3
Sat, 18/02/2012 - 01:15
great interview....and as another non rvb disciple/ a nosey fool, couldn't help noticing what a lot of very cool old school Harvey / Choci / other photos there are on Choci's FB

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1364460355534.2052503.135239151...
Joined: Jan 7 2007
Posts: 259
Muel's picture
#4
Sat, 18/02/2012 - 04:29
another top job Tubbs
Joined: Nov 15 2003
Posts: 258
travy's picture
#5
Sat, 18/02/2012 - 16:25
i love harv but had to chuckle when he innocently claims he's not a collector or digger than proceeds to pull out an impossible to find german promo only psych-rock vw advert record and an unreleased test pressing. Tongue
Joined: Dec 2 2007
Posts: 303
#6
Sat, 18/02/2012 - 18:08
travy wrote:
i love harv but had to chuckle when he innocently claims he's not a collector or digger than proceeds to pull out an impossible to find german promo only psych-rock vw advert record and an unreleased test pressing. Tongue


Tools of the trade!
Joined: Aug 1 2006
Posts: 40
tom.belte's picture
#7
Mon, 20/02/2012 - 14:10
Smile indeed, he is a nutter for it all. True enigma to listen to.
Joined: Mar 25 2007
Posts: 227
darrylfunk's picture
#8
Mon, 20/02/2012 - 15:42
travy wrote:
i love harv but had to chuckle when he innocently claims he's not a collector or digger than proceeds to pull out an impossible to find german promo only psych-rock vw advert record and an unreleased test pressing. Tongue


it's dutch and it was a freebie giveway it's a buzz record from some mixtapes around 2001 / 2003 and popped up on a few hip hop / trip hop mixes back in the day....i used to play it at the 333 and bar rhumba quite a lot used to come out of last words by 23 skidoo into this....rest of the lp is shite of the highest level...
__________________

i read a few of your other posts, i don't like you. i don't care if you never buy another record on z.

http://soundcloud.com/simplepleasures

http://www.mixcloud.com/darrylfunk/

Joined: Apr 12 2006
Posts: 1811
#9
Mon, 20/02/2012 - 16:14
darrylfunk wrote:
travy wrote:
i love harv but had to chuckle when he innocently claims he's not a collector or digger than proceeds to pull out an impossible to find german promo only psych-rock vw advert record and an unreleased test pressing. Tongue


it's dutch and it was a freebie giveway it's a buzz record from some mixtapes around 2001 / 2003 and popped up on a few hip hop / trip hop mixes back in the day....i used to play it at the 333 and bar rhumba quite a lot used to come out of last words by 23 skidoo into this....rest of the lp is shite of the highest level...


Are you sure that it's dutch? The writing on the cover is in german though.
Joined: Jul 24 2008
Posts: 443
darrylfunk's picture
#10
Mon, 20/02/2012 - 16:31
my pressing is dutch with german text.
__________________

i read a few of your other posts, i don't like you. i don't care if you never buy another record on z.

http://soundcloud.com/simplepleasures

http://www.mixcloud.com/darrylfunk/

Joined: Apr 12 2006
Posts: 1811
nathanstardust's picture
#11
Mon, 20/02/2012 - 23:34
really enjoyed this on a sunday morning..... whatever people think, for me he has always been a kindred spirit and a long-standing inspiration.... and was so nice to here him mentioning Breeze.... one of the finest DJ's of his generation by a country mile but sadly taken too early. He played in the Hub in Bath way back and had a HUGE influence on the local DJ's AND dancers who heard him that night... really was truly outstanding.....

I have always kept up on what Harvey is doing, and have been blown away on occasion. I'm not always down with what he's doing, but am always interested and he continues to be one of a very rare breed of DJ's who continue to inspire and experiment regardless of opinion.... he's up there with Weatherall for me - although a totally different type of DJ and producer altogether. Those who choose to dismiss him are quite simply cloth eared "English" (that bit is quite important, as it is a very "English" thing to cut down real achievement and ingenuity once it has been recognised), wannabees.

Very few DJ's could entertain and hold and excite a crowd in the way Harvey can.... there are a few and they and those who know good music and a proper party know who they are..... no need to name them.

Thanks for the interview.... the hand-held mic thing was quite amusing as well : )
__________________

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Joined: Jul 7 2008
Posts: 2537
#12
Wed, 22/02/2012 - 12:07
Has the new testament mix not surfaced anywhere yet ?
dpc
Joined: Mar 23 2005
Posts: 68
darrylfunk's picture
#13
Wed, 22/02/2012 - 13:24
tubbs without doubt your site is my goto interview site, it's fab what you are doing....i hope one day that i can get to a position in the industry where i can get the tubbs interview treatment.....my studio tan and wasteline are going in the right direction.....just wondering whether to make a 12" or carry on with the digital label kind of ideas.....

great work fella.
__________________

i read a few of your other posts, i don't like you. i don't care if you never buy another record on z.

http://soundcloud.com/simplepleasures

http://www.mixcloud.com/darrylfunk/

Joined: Apr 12 2006
Posts: 1811
#14
Thu, 23/02/2012 - 08:53
Seconded re the site, could i suggest mark 7 or Mark E for a chat sometime
__________________

Stupid-Human

Soundcloud

Joined: May 28 2008
Posts: 2001
tom.belte's picture
#15
Thu, 23/02/2012 - 20:59
Yeah it's a great website, very much needed - RBMA website is obviously also very good for interviews, Tubbs is a better interviewer though.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/rekid--the-discovery-of-slow... - this one in particular is however decent.
Joined: Mar 25 2007
Posts: 227
Red Rack'em's picture
#16
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 00:44
Good to see Tubbs getting some love. I think he's always really well prepared - I have never seen him ask a dumb question yet on these and he always seems to know some good background gems about the interviewees. I would like to see someone like Herbert, Pepe Bradock or Isolee getting a grilling but I dunno if they do interviews do they?

Someone told me recently about a 2 hour RBMA lecture from MAW - during the end question someone asked Louie Vega how it felt to have made French Kiss. I dunno what I would have done if I had actually been there. My ears went red just at the thought!
__________________

http://www.redrackem.com - download latest Smugglers Inn radio show here

Joined: Feb 2 2006
Posts: 2222
darrylfunk's picture
#17
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 03:50
yes ...to all the above....

i'd like to see jimpster and a few others given the tubbs once over too....
__________________

i read a few of your other posts, i don't like you. i don't care if you never buy another record on z.

http://soundcloud.com/simplepleasures

http://www.mixcloud.com/darrylfunk/

Joined: Apr 12 2006
Posts: 1811
#18
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 08:26
add icube to the list too
__________________

Stupid-Human

Soundcloud

Joined: May 28 2008
Posts: 2001
manlike's picture
#19
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 10:00
__________________

Portfolio / MixCloud / Twitter

Joined: Aug 4 2005
Posts: 946
Red Rack'em's picture
#20
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 10:19
Co-sign for I Cube....
__________________

http://www.redrackem.com - download latest Smugglers Inn radio show here

Joined: Feb 2 2006
Posts: 2222
darrylfunk's picture
#21
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 10:54
with tubbs asking the questions in pigeon french......
__________________

i read a few of your other posts, i don't like you. i don't care if you never buy another record on z.

http://soundcloud.com/simplepleasures

http://www.mixcloud.com/darrylfunk/

Joined: Apr 12 2006
Posts: 1811
#22
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 17:58
darrylfunk wrote:
yes ...to all the above....

i'd like to see jimpster and a few others given the tubbs once over too....


sounds mucky
Joined: Oct 4 2004
Posts: 256
darrylfunk's picture
#23
Fri, 24/02/2012 - 20:05
he loves it...
__________________

i read a few of your other posts, i don't like you. i don't care if you never buy another record on z.

http://soundcloud.com/simplepleasures

http://www.mixcloud.com/darrylfunk/

Joined: Apr 12 2006
Posts: 1811
mr black's picture
#24
Sat, 25/02/2012 - 14:10
Stupid Human wrote:
Seconded re the site, could i suggest mark 7 or Mark E for a chat sometime


good call.
Joined: Dec 11 2005
Posts: 702
tubbs's picture
#25
Fri, 02/03/2012 - 21:41
Ah you're very kind. Good suggestions on the interviewee front for sure... Still so many I want in the hot seat!
Red Rack'em wrote:
Good to see Tubbs getting some love. I think he's always really well prepared - I have never seen him ask a dumb question yet on these and he always seems to know some good background gems about the interviewees. I would like to see someone like Herbert, Pepe Bradock or Isolee getting a grilling but I dunno if they do interviews do they?

Someone told me recently about a 2 hour RBMA lecture from MAW - during the end question someone asked Louie Vega how it felt to have made French Kiss. I dunno what I would have done if I had actually been there. My ears went red just at the thought!
Joined: Nov 28 2007
Posts: 168
musicismypoison's picture
#26
Sat, 03/03/2012 - 09:49
nathanstardust wrote:
really enjoyed this on a sunday morning..... whatever people think, for me he has always been a kindred spirit and a long-standing inspiration.... and was so nice to here him mentioning Breeze.... one of the finest DJ's of his generation by a country mile but sadly taken too early. He played in the Hub in Bath way back and had a HUGE influence on the local DJ's AND dancers who heard him that night... really was truly outstanding.....

I have always kept up on what Harvey is doing, and have been blown away on occasion. I'm not always down with what he's doing, but am always interested and he continues to be one of a very rare breed of DJ's who continue to inspire and experiment regardless of opinion.... he's up there with Weatherall for me - although a totally different type of DJ and producer altogether. Those who choose to dismiss him are quite simply cloth eared "English" (that bit is quite important, as it is a very "English" thing to cut down real achievement and ingenuity once it has been recognised), wannabees.

Very few DJ's could entertain and hold and excite a crowd in the way Harvey can.... there are a few and they and those who know good music and a proper party know who they are..... no need to name them.

Thanks for the interview.... the hand-held mic thing was quite amusing as well : )


I agree with most of what you're saying here, I don't think people are dismissing him though, I just think the mix in question is quite hard work or not enjoyable for some people. I too always check Harvey's mixes / remixes / releases / interviews etc etc and find his interviews interesting and find Harvey to be quite a humorous chap...Like you said he's had moments of genius & at other times doesn't hit the mark for me...and for me this is one of those times, I'm not feeling this mix.
__________________

"make a noise...but do it quietly"

Joined: Nov 21 2005
Posts: 623